Torre dell'Elefante

sights / Architecture

Torre dell'Elefante information

Cagliari , Italy
Via Università
adult/reduced €3/2
Opening hours
10am-7pm summer, 9am-5pm winter
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

One of only two Pisan towers still standing, the Torre dell’Elefante was built in 1307 as defence against the threatening Aragonese. Named after the sculpted elephant by the vicious-looking portcullis, the 42m-high tower became something of a horror show, thanks to its foul decor. The crenellated storey was added in 1852 and used as a prison for political detainees. Climb to the top for far-reaching views over the city’s rooftops to the sea.

The Spaniards beheaded the Marchese di Cea here and left her severed head lying around for 17 years! They also liked to adorn the portcullis with the heads of executed prisoners, strung up in cages like ghoulish fairy lights.