go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Introducing Dalhousie

With its plunging pine-clad valleys and distant mountain views, Dalhousie is another of those cool hill retreats left behind by the British. Since independence, the old colonial mansions have been joined by an army cantonment, the posh Dalhousie Public School and numerous modern hotels catering to honeymooners from the plains. There’s not a lot to do here other than stroll around apreciating the crisp air and mountain views.

Quite a few Tibetan refugees have made a home in Dalhousie and there are painted rock carvings of Buddhist deities along the south side of the ridge. You can also visit the British-era churches of St John (1863) and St Francis (1894), set among the pines at opposite ends of the ridge.

Unusually for a hill station there are few truly steep roads, but Dalhousie is spread out far enough to be tiring. The market areas at Subhash Chowk and Gandhi Chowk are linked by lanes – Thandi Sarak (Cold Rd), and Garam Sarak (Hot Rd). The latter lane receives more sunshine.