St James’s Palace

St James’s Palace information

London , England
Cleveland Row
Getting there
Tube: Green Park
More information
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The striking Tudor gatehouse of St James’s Palace, the only surviving part of a building initiated by the palace-mad Henry VIII in 1530, is best approached from St James’s St to the north of St James’s Park. This was the official residence of kings and queens for more than three centuries and was built on the grounds of a famous leper hospital. The palace is not open to the public, but you can appreciate the architecture from the outside.

Foreign ambassadors are still formally accredited to the Court of St James, although they are actually received at Buckingham Palace. Princess Diana, who hated this place, lived here until her divorce from Charles in 1996, when she moved to Kensington Palace. Prince Charles and his sons stayed on at St James’s until 2004, before decamping next door to Clarence House, leaving St James’s Palace as the London residence of his sister Anne, the Princess Royal, and nieces the Princesses Beatrix and Eugenie.