Ploshcha Rynok

sights / Squares & plazas

Ploshcha Rynok information

Location
Lviv , Ukraine
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Lviv was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1998, and this old market square lies at its heart. The square was progressively rebuilt after a major fire in the early 16th century destroyed the original. The 19th-century Ratusha stands in the middle of the plaza, with fountains featuring Greek gods at each of its corners. Vista junkies can climb the 65m-high neo-Renaissance tower . The ticket booth is on the 4th floor.

Around 40 buildings in various states of repair hem the square's perimeter. Most of these three- and four-storey buildings have uniform dimensions, with three windows per storey overlooking the square. This was the maximum number of windows allowed tax free, and those buildings with four or more belonged to the extremely wealthy.

House No 4, the Black Mansion, has one of the most striking facades. Built for an Italian merchant in 1588–89, it features a relief of St Martin on a horse. The Kornyakt House at No 6 is named after its original owner, a Greek merchant. An interesting row of sculptured knights along the rooftop cornice makes it a local favourite. Together, Nos 2 and 6 house the largest portion of the Lviv History Museum .