- Sobornaya pl
- 4922 325 201
- admission R100
- 7am-8pm Tue-Sun
Lonely Planet review for Assumption Cathedral
A white-stone version of Kyiv’s brick Byzantine churches, the Assumption Cathedral was begun in 1158 – its simple but majestic form, adorned with fine carving, was innovative for the time. The cathedral was extended on all sides after a fire in the 1180s, when it gained the four outer domes. Inside the working church, a few restored 12th-century murals of peacocks and prophets can be deciphered about halfway up the inner wall of the outer north aisle; this was originally an outside wall. The real treasures are the Last Judgment frescoes by Andrei Rublyov and Daniil Chyorny, painted in 1408 in the central nave and inner south aisle, under the choir gallery towards the west end. The church also contains the original coffin of Alexander Nevsky of Novgorod, the 13th-century military leader who was also Prince of Vladimir. He was buried in the former Nativity Monastery east of here, but his remains were moved to St Petersburg in 1724 when Peter the Great allotted him Russian hero status. Adjoining the cathedral on the northern side are an 1810 bell tower and the 1862 St George’s Chapel.