Fort St Angelo
The old naval bakery, built in the 1840s, now houses a wealth of material on Malta’s maritime past. The collection includes huge Roman...
The Saluting Battery , where a cannon once fired salutes to visiting naval vessels. The battery has been restored, and a cannon is fired...
Casino di Venezia
Vegas meets Venice: travellers looking for a chance to make (or blow) some holiday dough should head to this ritzy casino beside the...
Two and A Half Lemon
One of the hip new restaurants that line the Vittoriosa Waterfront, this quaintly named restaurant and cocktail bar offers a choice of...
Fort St Angelo information
The tip of the Vittoriosa peninsula has been fortified since at least the 9th century, and before that it was the site of Roman and Phoenician temples. The Knights took over the medieval fort in 1530 and rebuilt and strengthened it – Fort St Angelo served as the residence of the Grand Master of the Order until 1571 and was the headquarters of la Valette during the Great Siege.
Further defences were added in the late 17th century by the talented engineer Don Carlos Grunenberg, whose florid coat of arms still sits above the gate overlooking St Angelo Wharf.
The British took over the fort in the 19th century, and from 1912 until 1979 it served as the headquarters of the Mediterranean Fleet, first as HMS Egmont and from 1933 as HMS St Angelo . The upper part of the fort, including the Grand Master's Palace and the 15th-century Chapel of St Anne , is now occupied by the modern Order of St John. The remainder of the fort is officially closed to visitors due to its poor state of repair; a long rehabilitation project is in progress.