Palacio de Los Capitanes Generales
- Tacón No 1
Lonely Planet review for Palacio de Los Capitanes Generales
Filling the whole west side of the Plaza de Armas, this former palace is one of Cuba’s most majestic baroque buildings. It stands on the site of Habana’s original church, the Parroquial Mayor, which was established in 1574 but was damaged by the explosion of the Invencible in Habana harbor in 1741. Due to ongoing damage, the church was subsequently demolished in 1776. The current building dates from the late 1770s and it has served many purposes over the years. From 1791 until 1898, it was the residence of the Spanish captains general. From 1899 until 1902, the US military governors were based here, and during the first two decades of the 20th century the building briefly became the presidential palace. In 1920 the president moved to the palace now housing the Museo de la Revolución and the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales became the city hall. The municipal authorities moved out in 1967, and since 1968 it has been home to the Museo de la Ciudad.