Ram Gopal Poddar Chhatri

Historic Building in Ramgarh

The imposing Ram Gopal Poddar Chhatri, to the south of the bus stand, was built in 1872. The main dome is surrounded by a series of smaller domes; on the western side of the main dome’s outer rim, one of the projecting braces bears a picture of a naked woman stepping into her lehanga (long skirt), while another woman shields her from a man’s gaze with the hem of her skirt.

The drum of the main dome is brightly painted and has well-preserved paintings in blues and reds depicting the battle from the Ramayana. The caretaker with the key resides in the nearby Jagdish Mandir.