When to Go
High Season (Dec–Mar)
- Pleasant weather – warm days, cool nights. Peak tourists, peak prices.
- Cold or freezing conditions from December to February at altitude.
- Temperatures climb steadily from February.
- Passes to Ladakh and high Himalaya open June to September.
- Monsoon rains persist through to September.
- Southeastern coast and southern Kerala see heavy rain October to December.
Low Season (Apr–Jun)
- April is hot; May and June scorching. Competitive hotel prices.
- From June, the monsoon brings draining humidity.
- Beat the heat (but not the crowds) in the cool hills.