go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Introducing Haines

Haines is Southeast Alaska’s most scenic departure point and a crucial link to the Alcan Hwy for thousands of RVers every summer on their way to Canada’s Yukon Territory and Interior Alaska. The Northwest Trading Company arrived here in 1878, followed by missionaries, gold prospectors and the US Army, which built its first permanent post in Alaska, Fort Seward, in 1903. The events of WWII – and the resulting construction of Haines Hwy and the Alcan – meant that Haines was finally connected to the rest of America.

Collect information from the Haines Convention & Visitors Bureau (907-766-2234, 800-458-3579; www.haines.ak.us; cnr 2nd Ave & Willard St; 8am-6pm Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Sat & Sun).