Palais des Nations

sights / Architecture

Lonely Planet review

Home to the UN since 1966, the Palais des Nations was built between 1929 and 1936 to house the now-defunct League of Nations. Admission (bring ID card or passport) includes an hour-long tour of the building and entry to the surrounding park where a grey monument sprouts, coated with heat-resistant titanium donated by the USSR to commemorate the conquest of space. Twice-weekly park tours (adult/child Sfr10/5; 11am & 2.30pm Tue & Thu) give the complete low-down on the 46-hectare grounds generously peppered with century-old trees and peacocks.