Casa de Fierro
- Plaza de Armas city center
Lonely Planet review for Casa de Fierro
Every guidebook tells of the 'majestic' Casa de Fierro (Iron House) designed by Eiffel (of Tower fame). It was made in Paris in 1860 and imported piece by piece into Iquitos around 1890, during the opulent rubber-boom days, to beautify the city. Although three different iron houses were imported, only one, at the southeast corner of the Plaza de Armas, survives.
It looks like a bunch of scrap-metal sheets bolted together, and was once a store and the Iquitos Club. There is now a store on the ground floor. There are plans afoot to open an upstairs restaurant and bar. Stay tuned.