Lonely Planet review for Neuer Marstall
The 1901 neo-baroque Neuer Marstall (New Stables) by Ernst von Ihne once sheltered royal horses and carriages. In 1918, revolutionaries hatched plans to topple the Prussian monarchy here; a GDR-era bronze relief on the (north) facade facing Schlossplatz shows Karl Liebknecht proclaiming a German socialist republic that same year. The building now hosts concerts of the Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler, a prestigious music academy.
The Neuer Marstall is an extension of the 1670 Alter Marstall (Old Stables), which is Berlin’s oldest baroque building. It rubs shoulders with the Ribbeckhaus, the city’s only surviving Renaissance structure. Both harbour public libraries.