Strossmayer Gallery of Old Masters
Lonely Planet review for Strossmayer Gallery of Old Masters
The Strossmayer Gallery of Old Masters is a fine art museum exhibiting the collection donated to the city by the illustrious Bishop Strossmayer in 1884. The original collection was extended by subsequent donations from private collectors.
Housed on the 2nd floor of the 19th-century neo-Renaissance Croatian Academy of Arts & Sciences, the museum includes Italian masters from the 14th to 18th centuries such as G Bellini, Veronese and Tiepolo; Dutch and Flemish painters such as J Brueghel the Younger; and French artists Proudhon and Carpeaux; as well as classic Croatian artists Medulić and Benković. The interior courtyard contains the Baška Slab (Bašćanska Ploča), a stone tablet from the island of Krk, which contains the oldest example of Glagolitic script, dating from 1102. Note the statue of Bishop Strossmayer by Ivan Meštrović.