Ming Ruins Park.

Ming City Wall Ruins Park

Temple of Heaven Park & Dongcheng South

This wistful stretch of brick and stone is all that remains (besides a couple of other denuded nubs) of Beijing's once formidable city walls, girding the capital since the early Ming dynasty. The walls have been dismantled piecemeal since the 1950s, making way for the 2nd Ring Rd and Line 2 of the Beijing subway. A park at the wall's base makes for a pleasant stroll through the past.

The wall runs eastwards from the former site of Chongwen Gate (崇文门, Chóngwénmén), one of the nine gates of the Inner City Wall, to the Southeast Corner Watchtower. Chongwen Gate was also known as Tax Gate (税门, Shuìmén) as the capital's tax bureau was located just outside. The wall extends for 1.2km, rising to a height of around 15m with defensive buttresses every 80m.

In 1996 this scrap of wall, concealed by weeds and being used as a rear wall for buildings, was to be removed to make way for a hotel. When it was realised the remains were largely Ming in origin, it was instead preserved. The Beijing Evening News ran a 'donate bricks' campaign, asking residents to return original wall bricks that had been repurposed for other uses, to aid in the restoration. In total over 30,000 Ming and Qing bricks were received, and 2700 residents relocated.

The park also contains a restored signal house of the old Beijing–Fengtian Railway, which ran just outside the city walls here.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Temple of Heaven Park & Dongcheng South attractions

1. Southeast Corner Watchtower

0.42 MILES

This immense fortress, part of the Ming City Wall Ruins Park, guarded the southeast corner of Beijing's city walls. Originally built in 1439 but repaired…

2. Ancient Observatory

0.59 MILES

Astronomers have been studying the mysteries of the cosmos here since 1442. Crowning the 18m-high brick tower – an earlier version of which would have…

3. St Michael's Church

0.83 MILES

Within the former Legation Quarter is this wonderfully gothic church, established in 1901 to serve the neighbouring Former French Legation and meet the…

4. Former French Legation


The imposing red gateway here, bearing a passing resemblance to the Arc de Triomphe, belonged to the French Legation. The two Chinese lions flanking the…

5. Former French Post Office

0.97 MILES

In Beijing's Former Legation Quarter, this grey brick building served as the French Post Office in the early 20th century. It was recently a Sichuan…

6. Former Yokohama Specie Bank

1.08 MILES

Built after the Boxer Rebellion in 1910, this is one of most impressive western-style buildings in the Former Legation Quarter. It's now home to the China…

7. Former Legation Quarter


Following the Second Opium War in 1860, one of Britain's treaty demands was for permanent diplomatic digs in Beijing, hence the Legation Quarter, a three…

8. Zhihua Temple

1.14 MILES

Lost in a tumbledown hutong neighbourhood, this Buddhist temple is one of Beijing's best-preserved Ming dynasty structures. It was built in 1444 to honour…