Església de Puig de Missa

Church in Santa Eulària des Riu

Sparkling high above town, this beautiful, whitewashed fortified church dates from 1568. Its most impressive features are its defence tower (used as a shelter during pirate attacks) and wonderful 17th-century multi-arched entrance porch, complete with mighty supporting pillars. The interior is simple and painted entirely white, except for the dramatic, golden churrigueresque-style altar, dating to 1678.

Some historians believe Italian military engineer Giovanni Battista Calvi designed the church – he was also responsible for the majestic walls of Dalt Vila in Ibiza Town.

Advertisement