In a shady park just behind the Museum of the History of Polish Jews, this stern memorial commemorates the thousands who lost their lives in the ill-fated Ghetto Uprising of 1943. In the northwest corner of the park is Skwer Willy Brandta (Willy Brandt Sq), with another memorial marking the visit of German chancellor Willy Brandt to this spot on 7 December 1970. Brandt famously fell to his knees in a gesture of contrition for Germany’s crimes against Polish Jews.