St Stephen Walbrook

Church in The City

Our Review

Just south of Mansion House, St Stephen Walbrook (1679) is considered to be the finest of Wren’s parish churches and, as it was his first experiment with a dome, a forerunner to St Paul’s Cathedral. Sixteen pillars with Corinthian capitals support the dome, and the modern travertine marble altar, nicknamed 'the Camembert', is by sculptor Henry Moore.

Advertisement