Courtyard in Kykkos monastery.

© luckyraccoon/Shutterstock

Kykkos Monastery

Top choice in Kykkos Monastery & Around

The island’s most prosperous and opulent Orthodox monastery was founded in the 11th century by Byzantine emperor Alexios I Komninos after a bizarre series of events. Over the centuries, a series of fires all but destroyed the original monastery. The surviving building, an imposing and well-maintained structure, dates from 1831.

The monastery is about 20km west of Pedoulas; try to visit early, as it can get busy from late morning onwards. Dress conservatively (though shawls and cover-up clothing are provided).

The story behind the monastery started with a hermit called Esaias (Isaiah), who lived in a cave close to the site. One day in the forest, Esaias crossed paths with a hunter from Nicosia, Manouil Voutomytis, who was also the Byzantine governor of Cyprus. Voutomytis was lost and asked directions from the recluse, only to be ignored because of Esaias’ ascetic vows. The self-important hunter became outraged at what he perceived to be the hermit’s insolence, cursing at him and shoving him as a lesson.

Upon returning to Nicosia, Voutomytis began to suffer incurable lethargy. He recalled how he had mistreated Esaias and set out to beg forgiveness, in the hope of restoring his failing health. Meanwhile, a vision from God appeared to Esaias, telling him to charge Voutomytis with the task of bringing an icon of the Virgin Mary from Constantinople to Cyprus.

At the hermit’s request, and after much soul-searching, Voutomytis was eventually able to bring the icon to Cyprus. He convinced the Byzantine emperor in Constantinople, whose daughter suffered the same lethargic affliction, that she would be saved if they did what the hermit (and therefore God) had asked.

The icon, said to be painted by St Luke, is one of only three that survive. For the last four centuries it has sat in a sealed, silver-encased box within the Kykkos Monastery.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Kykkos Monastery & Around attractions

1. Byzantine Museum

This museum houses much of Kykkos Monastery's fabulous wealth, including Byzantine and ecclesiastical artefacts. On the left when you enter is an…

2. Tomb of Archbishop Makarios III

0.57 MILES

The tomb of the first president of Cyprus is located on Throni Hill, 2km past Kykkos Monastery. Makarios was buried here at his request, close to the…

3. Panagia tou Moutoulla

4.77 MILES

The oldest of the 10 Unesco-listed painted churches in the Troödos Mountains, this church is believed to have once been a private chapel. It has the steep…

4. Folk Art Museum

5.06 MILES

Near the village centre, this museum houses clothing, furniture and agricultural tools that provide a snapshot of the culture, customs and history of the…

5. Agios Ioannis Lambadistis Monastery

5.07 MILES

This Unesco-listed site is a complex of three churches in one, dating from the 11th century and built over 400 years. Now under one huge pitched wooden…

6. Pedoulas Byzantine Museum

5.19 MILES

The museum’s rich collection of 12th- to 15th-century icons come from six ancient Byzantine churches in the village and include the late-13th-century icon…

7. Archangelos Michail

5.21 MILES

Most people visit Pedoulas to see this extraordinary Unesco-listed church. Dating from 1474, the gable-roofed building sits in the lower part of the…

8. Childhood House of Makarios

7.66 MILES

The childhood house of Archbishop Makarios III, Cyprus' first president, contains photos and memorabilia from his younger years. It's a considerable sized…