East of downtown along Lincoln St, the Russian Bishop’s House is the oldest intact Russian building in Sitka. Built in 1843 out of Sitka spruce, the two-story log house is one of the few surviving examples of Russian colonial architecture in North America. The National Park Service (NPS) has restored the building to its condition in 1853, when it served as a school, bishop’s residence and chapel.

The 1st-floor museum is free, while the tours to the 2nd floor are well worth the price of admission.