Russian Bishop's House

Top choice in Sitka

East of downtown along Lincoln St, the Russian Bishop’s House is the oldest intact Russian building in Sitka. Built in 1843 by Finnish carpenters out of Sitka spruce, the two-story log house is one of only four surviving examples of Russian colonial architecture in North America. The National Park Service (NPS) has restored the building to its 1853 condition, when it served as a school and residence for the Russian bishop, Innocent (Ivan Veniaminov).

You can wander the ground-floor museum, with its rescued exhibits and short film, at will. Access to the top floor, home to re-created living quarters and the private chapel of Bishop Innocent, is by guide only. Free tours leave on the half-hour. Tours can also be arranged from October to April, just make sure to call ahead.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Sitka attractions

1. Sitka Historical Museum

0.09 MILES

Within Sitka's recently rebuilt Harigan Centennial Hall, the town history museum was undergoing a full renovation at last visit. It was due to reopen in…

2. St Michael's Cathedral

0.19 MILES

Built between 1844 and 1848, this church stood for more than 100 years as Alaska’s finest Russian Orthodox cathedral. When a fire destroyed it in 1966,…

3. Princess Maksoutoff’s Grave

0.25 MILES

At the top of Princess Way lies Princess Maksoutoff’s Grave, marking the spot where the wife of Alaska’s last Russian governor is buried. A strategically…

4. Russian Cemetery

0.26 MILES

Old headstones and Russian Orthodox crosses lurk in the overgrown and quintessentially creepy Russian Cemetery (located at the north end of Observatory St…

5. Blockhouse

0.28 MILES

A replica of the small blockhouses that the Russians utilized to protect their stockade from the Indian village, this octagonal wooden fortification was…

6. Alaska Pioneers Home

0.28 MILES

Across Katlian St from the Totem Square is the prominent, yellow Alaska Pioneers Home. Built in 1934 on the old Russian Parade Ground, the home is for…

7. Sitka Sound Science Center

0.31 MILES

Sitka’s best children’s attraction is this hatchery and science center. Outside, the facade is being restored to its original appearance. Inside the…

8. Tlingit Clan House

0.31 MILES

A beautiful Tlingit clan house, more impressive outside than in, that hosts regular performances from the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi Dancers in the summer.