Counting some 80,000 artefacts, this is one of the most impressive collections of Egyptian and Sudanese archaeology in the world. The old-fashioned dusty displays in glass cases don’t really do much to highlight them, though. The museum is named after Professor William Flinders Petrie (1853–1942), who uncovered many of the items during his excavations and donated them to the university in 1933. Torches are available to pierce the gloomier recesses of the collection.