Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/egypt/cairo) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
Cairo 360 (www.cairo360.com) Restaurant and nightlife reviews and what's on guide for the capital.
Cairobserver (www.cairobserver.com) Smart articles on Cairo’s urban fabric.
Cairo Scene (www.cairoscene.com) Contemporary lifestyle and culture plus news, reviews and events.
Egy.com (www.egy.com) For 19th- and 20th-century Cairo history.
- Early-morning, late-night and all day Friday arrivals/departures at Cairo Airport are preferable (to avoid traffic).
- Keep small coins and bills (LE20 and under) for change and tips in an easily accessible pocket.
- Strangers who approach you around Midan Talaat Harb, the Egyptian Museum and Khan Al Khalili almost certainly want to sell you something.
- Most Cairo residents drink the tap water. If your system can handle it, help yourself to cold water outside mosques to cut down on plastic-bottle use.
- Unless you don't mind blackened, dirty feet, avoid wearing flip-flops. There's a reason the majority of Cairenes wear closed shoes.
- There is no such thing as a Papyrus Museum. It's a shop.