How to make The Fonz Toastie
Here's how to make The Fonz Toastie – one of the delectable dishes served at Toasta in Melbourne, Australia, and featured in our latest Lonely Planet Food title, Around the World in 80 Food Trucks.
- 2 streaky bacon rashers
- 6 walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs duck fat
- 115g (4oz) fontina cheese, grated
- 2 thick slices of organic sourdough bread
- 1 tsp white truffle oil
- 1 small handful of rocket
1. Preheat a sandwich press, or heat a cast-iron press for 15 minutes on a cast-iron pan, hot plate or barbecue.
2. Heat a heavy pan, hot plate or flat-top barbecue and cook the bacon rashers, flipping to brown both sides.
3. Place the walnuts in an ungreased pan over medium heat, stirring often until golden. Remove from the heat.
4. Spread the duck fat on the outside of both pieces of bread.
5. With the duck fat side down, place half the grated cheese on one piece of bread, followed by the walnuts and bacon rashers.
6. Evenly drizzle the truffle oil over the top, then finish with the remaining cheese. Place the second piece of bread on top, duck fat side up.
7. Place the toastie in the sandwich press. If using a castiron press, place it on a nonstick pan, hot plate or flat-top barbecue over medium heat, and place the cast-iron press on top, applying some pressure.
8. Cook the toastie for 3–4 minutes on each side, until both are golden and the cheese is melted.
9. Open the toastie and place the rocket inside and cook for a further 30 seconds to allow the rocket to wilt.
10. Remove the toastie, cut in half and serve.
Find out more about the food truck where this dish is served: 10 of the world's coolest food trucks.
Lonely Planet has taken to the streets to bring you 80 fast, fresh and mouthwatering recipes from the most exciting chefs on four wheels. From sea bass ceviche to old-fashioned American peach cake, discover how to cook some of the world’s most crowd-pleasing dishes, meet the chefs and hear the stories behind their passion projects.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter
Get more travel inspiration, tips and exclusive offers sent straight to your inbox