Vanderbilt Museum & Planetarium

Long Island

See how shipping magnate 'Commodore' Cornelius Vanderbilt lived in his Eagle's Nest 19th-century mansion, or take in a planetarium show (Friday and Saturday year-round, four showings per weekday late June to early September). Combination tickets available.

A general admission ticket (adult/child $8/5) is available for the grounds and 80% of the mansion, which includes three museums (the other 20%, which includes the living quarters, are accessible via tour only) and a fourth museum outside the mansion. Look out for Vanderbilt's 3000-year-old Egyptian mummy and sarcophagus purchased in 1932 for E£280 (about $16).

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Long Island attractions

1. Sagamore Hill National Historic Site

7.06 MILES

This is where president Theodore Roosevelt and his wife raised six children. A nature trail from behind the museum ends at a picturesque beach. The 23…

2. Greenwich Point Park

13.17 MILES

Greenwich Point Park's lush acres are lined with walking trails which sweep across the promontory leading to quiet beaches, from where, on a clear day,…

3. SONO Switch Tower Museum

13.68 MILES

Relive the days when operators threw manual switches from a control tower like this restored one, dating from 1896, to control railroad traffic on the…

4. Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk

13.72 MILES

This aquarium focuses on the marine life of Long Island Sound, including sand tiger sharks, loggerhead turtles and harbor seals, with daily feedings at 11…

5. Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum

14.33 MILES

This is one of the best surviving Second Empire–style country houses in the nation, so it's no wonder the 62-room mansion was chosen as the set for the…

6. Stepping Stones Museum for Children

14.37 MILES

This museum is bursting with interactive, instructive fun, from the weather cycle to gravity to the principles of conservation. The Toddler Terrain is a…

7. Sherwood Island State Park

14.84 MILES

Just south of Westport, Sherwood Island State Park features a 1.5-mile-long stretch of beach – its gentle surf and shallow waters are ideal for families…

8. Bush-Holley Historic Site

14.96 MILES

A saltbox built in 1732, Bush-Holley Historic Site was run as a boardinghouse for the Cos Cob colony's artists between 1890 and 1925. It features a wealth…