Welcome to Monsaraz


Settled long before the Moors arrived in the 8th century, Monsaraz was recaptured by the Christians under Giraldo Sem Pavor (Gerald the Fearless) in 1167, and then given to the Knights Templar as thanks for their help. The castle was added in 1310.


Top experiences in Monsaraz

Amazing hotels and hostels

We've pre-picked the best hotels, hostels and bed and breakfasts to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Travel guides

Starting at $24.99

Image for

Monsaraz activities

$91.34 Private & Custom Tours

Private tour to Évora from Lisbon

Start the day by getting picked up from your hotel and heading straight to Évora through Alentejo’s country roads. After arriving in Évora, take a tour of the beautiful St Francis Church and the famous chapel of the bones. Then head to the temple of Diana, located at the top of Évora. The structure is a roman temple from the 1st century that has been incredibly well-preserved and is the city’s most famous landmark.  Next, enjoy a tasting session of exciting local wines, followed by a delicious lunch featuring the best of Alentejo cuisine. After lunch, head towards Monsaraz and the biggest man made lake in Europe. Monsaraz is one of the most beautiful medieval villages in the Alentejo region and overlooks one of the biggest man-made lakes in Europe. Spend some time walking around and taking in the magnificent view from the castle.  On the journey back to Lisbon, pay a visit the Cromeleque dos Almendres, a Megalithic circle that is still a mystery for the science community. The driver will return you to your hotel at the end of the day.

$61.65 Day Trips & Excursions

Évora and Monsaraz Private Tour from Lisbon

ItineraryThis is a typical itinerary for this productStop At: Templo Romano de Evora (Templo de Diana), Evora, Evora District, AlentejoDiana's Temple, the proof that romans where in this area!Duration: 1 hourStop At: Igreja de Sao Francisco, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoSt Francisco ChurchDuration: 1 hourStop At: Cathedral of Evora (Se Catedral de Evora), Evora, Evora District, AlentejoÉvora's CathedralDuration: 1 hourStop At: Centro Historico de Evora, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoVisit the village inside the castle!Duration: 2 hours

$54.80 Day Trips & Excursions

Évora and Monsaraz

Enjoy a complimentary Hotel pick up from your guide at 8:30 and a 1:30 ride to Évora through beautiful country side while your guide will talk about the cork fields, local biodiversity and the Alentejo region unique identity.Once we arrive in Évora our first stop will be at the Bone chapel. A very intriguing 17th century chapel covered with human bonés to remind us the transience of life.From here will walk through the labyrinthic streets of Évora towards one of the most important Cathedrals and example of the Romanic/gothic architecture in Portugal.Right next to it we will admire the well preserved 2000-year-old Roman temple of Diana and learn about the importance of this city for the empire.After tasting the amazing gastronomy of this region, we leave Évora for another 40-minute scenic drive through vast olive oil plantations and famous Portuguese vineyards towards the town of Monsaraz. A tiny medieval hilltop town on the Potugal/Spain border overlooking the countryside and the biggest artificial lake in Europe. From its Castle we can admire the picturesque villages, the bullfighting arena built within its walls and the enourmous lake bordering Portugal and Spain.From Monsaraz we will drive you directly back to dropp you off at your Hotel/AirBnB or another place of your choice.

$57.09 Cultural & Theme Tours

PRIVATE TOUR ÉVORA E MONSARAZ

ItineraryThis is a typical itinerary for this productStop At: Evora InnÉvoraTowns and VillagesTopped by an imposing cathedral, Évora is laid out over a gently sloping hill rising out of the huge Alentejo plain. It guards its historic centre with a vast outer wall and represents a valuable cultural legacy that UNESCO has classified World Heritage.The city, with its narrow streets of Moorish origin contrasting with squares where the light floods in, holds two millennia of hsitory. Conquered in 59 B.C. by the Romans, they named it "Liberalitas Julia". In this period, Évora gained great importance as can be witnessed from the remains of that time: the ruins of a fine temple dated towards the end of the second century, various parts of the wall and the gateway more recently called Dona Isabel in addition to the remains of thermal baths below what is now the Municipal Council building.Little remains of the Visigoth period (5th - 8th centuries). There then followed the Moorish period begun with the city's conquest by Tárique. This lasted through to Christian reconquest in the 12th century. Yeborah, as it became known, had already received an indelible Moorish influence, most clearly seen in the Mouraria neighbourhood.After the Reconquest, in addition to between the inner and outer walls, urban development moved beyond the city's walls. The city was home to the court of various Portuguese kings of the first and second dynasties. During this period it was endowed with various palaces and monuments, particularly during the reigns of kings João II and Manuel (15th and 16th centuries).Wander its streets and absorb the secret soul that a diverse range of cultural influences has laid down in this city of the World. There are also excellent restaurants and bars, esplanades, arts and handicraft stores and the youthful nature of those attending its university all adding up to a dynamic of the present with its roots very firmly in the past.Duration: 1 hourStop At: Templo Romano de Evora (Templo de Diana), Evora, Evora District, AlentejoTemplo romano de ÉvoraArchaeologyThe Roman Temple, over 2000 years old, is the ex-libris monument of Évora and is one of the most important historic ruins in the country.The Roman temple in Évora was built in the first century, during the time of Caesar Augustus. It has a long history, serving as testimony to many transformations and different uses over the centuries. It was practically destroyed when the Barbarians occupied the Iberian peninsular in the fifth century, and served as a bank vault and butcher’s to Evora castle in the 14th century.Its original Roman design was only recovered in the 19th century, in one of the first archaeological interventions in Portugal. It is a testimony to the Roman forum of the city of Évora, consecrated to the Imperial cult, thus clarifying a 17th-century tradition that claimed that the temple had been consecrated to the goddess Diana. For this reason, it was identified for many years as the Temple of Diana. Recent excavations have shown that it was surrounded by a portico and water mirror.Duration: 1 hourStop At: Igreja de Sao Francisco, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoIgreja de São Francisco / Capela dos Ossos - ÉvoraMonumentsChurch of São Francisco - ÉvoraOne of the striking features of the façade is a church porch with arches of different styles - a typical example of the "marriage" between Gothic and Moorish style found in so many monuments of this region in Portugal. Over the Manueline doorway we can see the emblems of the kings that commissioned its construction - D. João II and D. Manuel I - whose emblems were the pelican and armillary sphere respectively.One particularity of the Church is that it has a single nave, terminating in a ribbed vaulted ceiling, that has the largest span of all Portuguese Gothic architecture. On the sides we can see twelve chapels, all covered in Baroque carved woodwork. The main chapel, dating from the early 16th century, still maintains important Renaissance features such as the pulpits. It's well worth noting the harmonious decoration of stone, carved woodwork and azulejo tiles in the chapel of the third order, on one of the arms of the transept.Inside, visitors can see the strange Bones Chapel, built during the Filippine period (17th-century). The pillars and walls are completely covered by bones. It's also worth noting the late Renaissance doorway where the capitals of the columns seem to be decorated in a different manner according to whether one is looking from the exterior or interior.Duration: 1 hourStop At: Cathedral of ÉvoraFrom Évora's Cathedral to Largo das Portas de MouraOtherTurning the apse of the Sé, head down the Freiria de Cima street looking for the porches and twinned windows that ornament some of the houses. Continuing along the streets of Cenáculo and Freiria de Baixo, you come across S. Manços street where there is the House of Garcia de Resende (who was royal secretary, poet and writer). The house boasts three beautiful twinned Manueline windows decorated with small columns and Moorish style points.Further along, in the Portas de Moura square, in addition to the Mudéjar - Manueline veranda of the Cordovil house, the beautiful renaissance fountain draws all eyes. The interesting angle of the Sé can be particularly effectively discerned from this spot.Close by there is the former University of the Holy Spirit founded in 1559 by Cardinal Henrique for the College of the Company of Jesus. Since 1973, this has been the central building of the current University of Évora, attended by over 8,000 students. In the building, there are the double gallery cloisters. Opening onto the galleries are the rooms still fitted with the antique teaching stands and benches complete with magnificent tiled panels depicting aspects of the various classes taught. The College Church was well suited to teaching uses as can be seen by the pulpit placed in the very middle of the room and the excellent acoustic conditions. In one of the chapels, there is the great wooden crucifix that is carried at the head of religious processions.Duration: 1 hourStop At: Loios Convent, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoIgreja dos Lóios - ÉvoraMonumentsChurch of Lóios - ÉvoraThe Church of Lóios was built in the 15th century, in Gothic-Manueline style, although the façade now includes alterations introduced in the 18th century. It has been listed as a National Monument.Inside, it's well worth seeing the azulejo tile panels depicting episodes from the life of São Lourenço Justiniano. With great expressive and stylistic quality, they were painted in 1711 by the Lisbon-based artist, António de Oliveira Bernardes.Duration: 30 minutesStop At: Cathedral of Evora (Se Catedral de Evora), Evora, Evora District, AlentejoSé Catedral de ÉvoraMonumentsThe largest medieval cathedral in Portugal.A fortified church with Gothic features, Évora Cathedral is the largest cathedral in Portugal. Initiated in 1186, consecrated in 1204, and immediately used as one of the main temples of the Marian cult, it was only complete in 1250. It is a monument that showcases the transition from the Romanesque to the Gothic style, with Renaissance and Baroque additions introduced later.The facade is flanked by two towers, both medieval, with the bells being placed in the south tower. The north tower houses a number of valuable treasures belonging to the Museum of the Sacred Art; some unique priceless pieces, such as the image of the Virgin of Paradise, a figurine of the Virgin and Child that opens up from the lap and portrays an altarpiece with various scenes of the Birth and Passion. The remarkable central dome, built at the end of the 13th century during the reign of King Dinis, is the Cathedral’s true showstopper. The main portico is one of the most impressive Portuguese gothic portals, with master sculptures of the Apostles made in the 14th century by Master Pêro, a leading name in national Gothic sculptures. Besides the main portico there are two other entrances: the Porta do Sol, facing south, with Gothic arches; and the North Gate, rebuilt in the Baroque period.The interior is divided into three naves about 80 metres long. In the central nave you can see the altar of Our Lady of the Angel (locally known as Nossa Senhora do Ó), with polychrome marble images of the Virgin and the Angel Gabriel. The 18th-century altar and the marble chapel in Estremoz are Baroque works by J.F. Ludwig, known as Ludovice, who was the architect of the Palace of Mafra, at the service of King John V (1706-1750). In the chapel, a beautiful crucifix known as the "Father of the Christ" is displayed above the painting of Our Lady of the Assumption. In the transept, see the ancient Chapels of Saint Lawrence and the Holy Christ, and the Chapels of the Relics and the Blessed Sacrament, decorated with gilded carvings. At the northern tip is the spectacular Renaissance portal of the Chapel of the Morgados do Esporão. And in the upper-choir is a very valuable renaissance chair carved in oak wood, and an organ of great proportions, also of the 18th century.You can also visit the gothic cloister, dated 1325, and climb to the terrace, from where you can enjoy a beautiful panorama over the entire city of Évora, since the Cathedral is located at its highest point.Duration: 1 hourStop At: Igreja de Nossa Senhora de Graca, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoIgreja da Graça - ÉvoraMonumentsChurch of Graça - ÉvoraThe Church of Graça was built in the 16th century, during the reign of D. João III, in accordance with architectural designs by Miguel de Arruda.A unique monument, of Palladian influence, it highlights a robust character in its Mannerist façade, including a monumental doorway topped by a double fronton with angels above it. Four robust Atlas-style figures are placed around the four corners, symbolising the four rivers (which the locals call, with a certain degree of irony, " the children of grace ").Key features of the interior include the Estremoz marble windows in the zone of the high chapel, crafted by the Renaissance sculptor, Nicolau de Chanterenne.Duration: 30 minutesPass By: University of Evora, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoUniversidade de ÉvoraMonumentsThe creation of the University of Évora dates back to the sixteenth century when the Cardinal D. Henrique, 1st Archbishop of Évora, with the consent of King João III, ordered the construction of a building to house the community of Jesuit seminarians. In 1553 the facilities were extended, having been erected the Cloister of the 'Botica' (Pharmacy), from which originated the College of the Espírito Santo (Holy Spirit), administered by the Company of Jesus. The first class was taught on August 28, 1553. Six years later, on April 15, 1559, the second university in Portugal was created, through the Papal Bull Cum a Nobis, issued by Pope Paul IV. The first solemn opening of the academic year took place on the Day of All Saints on November 1, 1559.Two years later, a new extension of the building began, with the construction of the Courtyard of the 'Gerais'. At the time, the university was authorized to teach all subjects except Medicine, Civil Law and part of the Canon Law. It initially taught Philosophy, Moral, Scripture, Speculative Theology, Rhetoric, Grammar and Humanities. Later, in the reign of D. Pedro II, the teaching of Mathematics, Geography, Physics and Military Architecture began.After 200 years of prominence for its role in the formation of the elites and missionaries of the kingdom, the university was closed by the Marquis of Pombal, on February 8, 1759, and the Jesuits were expelled from Portugal. Over the following 200 years, the University of Évora remained closed until its renewal in 1973, reopening its doors as a public university. During this period, many other institutions of teaching vocation passed through this beautiful building, either alone or on a cohabitation arrangement: the Regal Teachers of the 'Pombalina' Reform (1762), the Third Order of St. Francis under the protection of Frei Manuel do Cenáculo (1776), the Real Casa Pia (1836), The National 'Liceu' - High School (1841), the Industrial and Commercial School (1915) and the University Institute of Évora (1973).Nowadays, the University of Évora is a modern and innovative institution,prominent for the quality of its research and teaching, following the motto of Luís de Camões "Honest study mixed with long experience", reconciling the vast past of pedagogical, cultural and scientific tradition with the advanced requirements of modernity and technology, offering a wide range of training options in humanistic, scientific, technological and artistic areas, through about 36 first degrees, 76 masters and 31 doctorates.

$74.21 Cultural & Theme Tours

Singular Alentejo Évora & Monsaraz

ItineraryThis is a typical itinerary for this productStop At: Centro Historico de Evora, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoÉvora is an inland city with a glorious historical past. It’s inevitably associated with the image of the Temple of Diana; a Roman construction kept almost intact located right in the heart of the city. The temple’s magnitude is impressive. No less than other of the city’s various treasures which rightfully stand for of its political importance throughout the centuries. A World Heritage Site by UNESCO, Évora is a condensed live history class.Duration: 3 hoursStop At: Monsaraz Castle and Walls, Monsaraz, Evora District, AlentejoOn the Alentejo plains, a cute little village rises up ready to take you on a journey to Medieval times. Inside the Castle walls, the village’s winding streets and small impeccable white houses invite you to get lost wandering. From up there you can enjoy a delightful view over the golden plains, the blueish Alqueva’s dam lake, and the infinite horizon. Take in a deep breath and appreciate the unusual quietness.Duration: 1 hour

$1872.44 Day Trips & Excursions

Motorcycle off-road tour in Portugal - LISBOA TOUR

DAY 1. Arrival in Lisbon. We will welcome you at Lisbon airport and we will make the group transfer from the airport to our base located 20 minutes from the airport. Briefing. Dinner and overnight in the hotel*** with swimming pool. DAY 2. Lisbon - Monsaraz (230 km) After control of the motorcycles, our first stage crosses Portugal from west to east. This long stage is largely on rolling tracks in the plains and in the cork oak forests. We will have a lunch break towards Evora. We will ride the afternoon on more winding tracks in the Serra d'Ossa which will offer us superb panoramas. We will finish the first stage in a very nice **** hotel with swimming pool close to the medieval city of Monsaraz. DAY 3. Monsaraz - Alcoutim (240 km) The second day we will run along the Spanish-Portuguese border. We will drive between olive and eucalyptus trees, in the Andalusian sierras almost desert of the east of the country. We will cross the beautiful Natural Park of Guadiana which offer very pleasant and tortuous technical roads. Lunch break in Mertola. We will enter the Algarve in the afternoon. Nice hotel *** with swimming pool for the evening and the night. DAY 4. Alcoutim - Alte (220 km) We leave Acoutim by beautiful tracks before reaching the banks of Rio Guadania through the village of Azinhal, along the Odeleite dam. We will then arrive in the mountainous Algarve. Lunch at Barranco Do Vehlo. In the afternoon we will ride exclusively in this paradise of off-road. We will spend the evening and the night in hotel *** with swimming pool in Alte. DAY 5. Alte - Vila Nova de Milfontes (220 km) A 90% Algarve stage with a lot of trails. We will have lunch in Santana. After we will go to the beautiful dam of Santa Clara before going back on mountain tracks. We will end this splendid day at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean in Vila Nova de Milfontes. Hotel *** with heated pool.DAY 6. Vila Nova de Milfontes - Lisbonne (210 km) Our last stage will begin with the ascent along the Atlantic coast on sandy slopes of the Alentejana coast and beautiful views at the top of the cliffs. We will leave the seaside to cross a small serra above Santiago de Cacèm with more winding paths. Lunch at Alcacer do Sal. We will close this beautiful tracks in pine forests to our base near Lisbon. Free evening, night at the hotel ***. DAY 7. Group transfer. After breakfast we organize your transfer to Lisbon airport in the early morning.