The new Jewish Cemetery, founded in 1829, is the resting place of 52,000 Jews; Jews were buried here until 1942. The cemetery was destroyed by the Germans during WWII (who used tombstones in the construction of parts of Majdanek extermination camp). Broken tombstones form a wall around the cemetery. The graveyard and the small museum can be visited during daylight hours. The cemetery is situated 500m north of the Old Jewish Cemetery and about 1km north of the main bus terminal.