Stordal Old Church

Church in Valldal

Twenty-five kilometres northwest of Valldal on the Rv650 towards Ålesund, this stave church was built in 1789 on the site of an earlier chapel, elements of which were retained. Inside, the roof, walls and every last pillar are sumptuously painted with scenes from the Bible and portraits of saints – a riot of colour that accounts for its local nickname: the Rose Church.

Advertisement