The impregnable-looking Kangra Fort, at least 1000 years old, soars on a high promontory of land between the Manjhi and Banganga Rivers. Head up through a series of gates and passages to the palace area at the top for views north to the mountains and south to the plains.

The fort is at the south end of town, a ₹100 autorickshaw ride from the bus stand. It was occupied by Hindu rajas, Mughal and Sikh conquerors and even the British (from 1846), before it was finally toppled by the 1905 Kangra earthquake.