Southwest of Bhadra Fort and dating from 1414, this is one of the city’s earliest mosques, built for the sultan and nobles within Ahmedabad’s original citadel. The prayer hall is a forest of beautifully carved stone pillars and jali (carved lattice) screens, and the elaborately carved insides of its cupolas have a circular symmetry reminiscent of Hindu and Jain temples.