This copper-domed church (1773) was commissioned by Frederick the Great, designed by Knobelsdorff, modelled after the Pantheon in Rome and named for the patron saint of Silesia. Restored after WWII, its circular, modern interior is lidded by a ribbed dome and accented with Gothic sculpture and an altar cross made of gilded and enamel-decorated ivory.

It was Berlin’s only Catholic post-Reformation house of worship until 1854. During WWII, St Hedwig was a centre of Catholic resistance led by Bernard Lichtenberg, who died en route to the Dachau concentration camp in 1943; he is buried in the crypt.