Hall of Union

Historic Building in Forbidden City & Dongcheng Central

The middle of the three outer halls, the Hall of Union was the place for the empress to receive greetings from her high-ranking subjects during major festivals. It contains a clepsydra – a water clock made in 1745 with five bronze vessels and a calibrated scale. The hall also has a mechanical clock built in 1797 and a collection of imperial jade seals on display.