Church of Sveta Bogoroditsa

Church in Plovdiv

Painted a fetching shade of butter-cream yellow, this three-nave church looks out proudly from a stone staircase at the base of the old town. Built in 1844 on the site of a 9th-century shrine, its 12th-century incarnations long ago sacked by the Ottomans, the church now contains icons and colourful murals, and bears an inscription of thanks to Bulgaria's liberators.

Advertisement