Lower Austria

Dating from the 13th century, this former castle was turned into a military academy in the mid-18th century (founded by Empress Maria Theresia) and was even commanded by the young Rommel in his pre–‘Desert Fox’ days. The academy was completely rebuilt after WWII, and its real highlight is St-Georgs-Kathedrale, with a fine late-Gothic interior. Maximilian I, who was born in the castle, is buried under the altar. Entry to the church is on the south side (register with the guard).

The eastern wall of the church is packed with heraldic coats of arms dating from 1453 and was the only part of the building to survive WWII unscathed. The relief depicts a genealogy of Austrian rulers. Only 19 of the heraldic arms are real – the rest were invented by Peter von Pusica, the artisan who created it.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Lower Austria attractions

1. Neukloster

0.18 MILES

This church's claim to fame is as the venue for the very first performance of Mozart's Requiem in 1793. Architecturally, the 14th-century church is fairly…

2. Hauptplatz

0.25 MILES

The town's main piazza is closed off on one side by the Rathaus, which is something of a hybrid of styles. It began life as a Gothic building, was given…

3. Dom

0.39 MILES

This cathedral runs an architectural gamut from the Romanesque (it dates from the late 13th century) to the Gothic and beyond to the baroque. The…

4. Stadtmuseum

0.45 MILES

Partly housed in the former St Peter’s monastery, the city museum was undergoing complete renovation at the time of writing. It's expected to reopen…

5. Burg Forchtenstein

7.99 MILES

Straddling a dolomite spur some 20km southwest of Eisenstadt, Burg Forchtenstein is one of Burgenland’s most imposing castles with a grand view from its…

6. Bergkirche

12.64 MILES

This unusual, lumpy church, its exterior bedecked in life-size disco-dancing angels and saints, contains the white-marble tomb with Haydn’s remains. It…

7. Österreichisches Jüdisches Museum

12.84 MILES

Situated in the former Judengasse – a street where Eisenstadt’s Jewish population lived in the Middle Ages – this museum has a permanent exhibition…

8. Landesmuseum

12.87 MILES

The Landesmuseum plunges you deep into the local history of the region, seemingly all at once, including a collection of Roman mosaics, ancient artefacts,…