Argyle Cut

Landmark in Circular Quay & The Rocks

Convict labourers excavated this canyonlike section of road clear through the sandstone ridge that gave the Rocks its name. The work began in 1843 with hand tools and was completed (with the aid of dynamite) in 1867. The cut sandstone frames scenery and greenery in a dramatic fashion and makes for an atmospheric stroll.

Advertisement