This wonderful old street offers a glimpse of a bygone Kanchanaburi. Many shops date from the turn of the 20th century and the variety of buildings include Sino-Portuguese, Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese styles. Yellow signs reveal the history and architecture of nearly 20 of them. During WWII the Japanese rented several buildings here as offices, residences, a prison and a brothel.
The walk begins at the restored City Gate. Built in 1831, it's the last remaining of the original eight gates. Just behind it is a statue of King Rama III, who ordered the city relocated to this site, and off to the side is the 1931 Governor's Residence.