- La Ciambella Dine on modern Roman cuisine at this tranquil backstreet restaurant.
- Colline Emiliane The Latini family's elegant eatery serves sensational regional cuisine from Emilia-Romagna.
- La Tavernaccia Delicious food makes this simple trattoria one of the city's most sought-after tables.
- Flavio al Velavevodetto A model Roman trattoria in Testaccio serving classic cucine romana.
- Trattoria Da Cesare al Casaletto Heavy on taste and light on attitude, this may be Rome's best trattoria.
- Salumeria Roscioli Deli-restaurant hybrid serving top-notch food and wine.
By Budget: €
- Bonci Pizzarium Top-of-the-range pizza al taglio (pizza by the slice).
- Panella Historic bakery serving fresh-baked food all day.
- Supplì Wonderful Trastevere tavola calda serving reliable, bargain-priced meals.
- Antica Norcineria Iacozzilli Century-old deli serving a sensational panino stuffed with rosemary-scented porchetta (suckling pig).
- Giselda Industrial-chic cafe in Trastevere offering a dirt-cheap lunch deal.
- Sbanco New-school pizzeria known for its sumptuous fried morsels and creative pizza toppings.
By Budget: €€
- Pianostrada Creative modern cuisine and a fashionable bistro vibe.
- Piccolo Arancio Trevi trattoria specialising in seafood dishes.
- Da Enzo Quality local produce and arguably the city's best pasta cacio e pepe.
- Trattoria Da Teo Traditional trattoria with one of Trastevere's loveliest terraces.
- La Buca di Ripetta Modern Roman cuisine near the Spanish Steps.
By Budget: €€€
- Metamorfosi Roy Caceres' stupendously good fusion dishes never fail to impress.
- Marco Martini Restaurant Modern, well-executed cuisine enjoyed in a garden pavilion near the Circo Massimo.
- Enoteca La Torre Sophisticated contemporary cuisine in glamorous surrounds.
- Aroma The rooftop restaurant of the Palazzo Manfredi hotel has 'marry-me' views over the Colosseum.
- Zia Restaurant Up-and-coming chef and a good-value lunch menu.
- All'Oro Sleek hotel restaurant with food by innovative chef Riccardo Di Giacinto.
By Cuisine: Traditional Roman
- Flavio al Velavevodetto Classic cucina romana in a popular neighbourhood trattoria.
- La Tavernaccia Family-run trattoria sticking solidly to the classics.
- Trattoria Da Cesare al Casaletto Fantastic trattoria beloved by both local regulars and visiting foodies.
- Da Enzo Hugely popular Trastevere address, known for quality sourced ingredients.
- Trattoria Da Teo So traditional that it still cooks gnocchi on a Thursday only; honest and delicious food.
- Tordomatto Fine-dining address serving refined versions of cucina romana dishes.
By Cuisine: Modern Roman
- L’Arcangelo Updated takes on classic Roman dishes at this Prati favourite.
- Pianostrada Modern Roman dining with a strong emphasis on vegetables.
- Metamorfosi Playful updates of Roman classics from a Michelin-starred chef.
- La Ciambella The surrounds include ruins of the ancient Terme do Agrippa, but the cuisine is unabashedly modern.
- Salumeria Roscioli Deli-restaurant hybrid serving traditional food prepared with a contemporary sensibility.
- VyTA Enoteca Regionale del Lazio Specialities from the Lazio region given a sophisticated contemporary twist.
By Cuisine: Regional
- Colline Emiliane Sensational antipasti, pastas and desserts from Emilia-Romagna.
- Seacook Chic seafood fresh from Salento in southern Italy.
- Casa Coppelle Theatrical restaurant serving refined French cuisine.
- Piccolo Arancio Huge choice of seafood dishes paying homage to Italy's south.
- Aroma Michelin-starred rooftop restaurant specialising in modern Mediterranean food.
- Il Chianti Tuscan classics that can be enjoyed on a gorgeous terrace near the Trevi Fountain.
- Sbanco Creative pizzas and craft beer served in casual bar-like setting.
- Emma Pizzeria Smart outfit dishing up excellent wood-fired pizzas in the historic centre.
- Pizzeria Da Remo Spartan but stunning: a frenetic Roman pizzeria experience in Testaccio.
- Pizzeria Ai Marmi Streetside tables and fabulous pizza haul in the hoards to Trastevere's 'l'obitorio' (the morgue).
- Alle Carette Top-notch baccalà (salted cod) and down-to-earth pizza, super-thin and mighty tasty.
- Giulietta Trendy pizzeria set in a former car showroom.
Pizza by the Slice
- Bonci Pizzarium Pizza slices created by the master, Gabriele Bonci.
- Forno Roscioli Thin and crispy, this is some of the best pizza rossa (with tomato and oregano) in Rome, if not the world.
- La Renella Historic bakery known for its bread, biscuits and pizza slices.
- Antico Forno Urbani A kosher bakery in the Ghetto with incredible pizza bianca (with olive oil and rosemary).
Notable Wine Lists
- La Barrique Interesting list of wines from small producers, including natural wines.
- Casa Bleve High-end restaurant with one of the largest and most interesting wine lists in the city.
- Salumeria Roscioli Sensational list by the glass and bottle.
- Litro Vintage-styled bistro-bar with extensive list of natural and organic wines.
- Trattoria Da Cesare al Casaletto Serves one of the best house wines in town.
- L'Arcangelo Well-curated wine list to complement creative contemporary bistro food.
- Pasticceria De Bellis Work-of-art cakes, pastries and dolci at this chic pasticceria.
- Biscottificio Innocenti Classic old-school Trastevere bakery, with piled-high biscuits such as brutti ma buoni (ugly but good).
- I Dolci di Nonna Vincenza Heavenly Sicilian pastries.
- Andreotti Poem-worthy treats from buttery crostate (tarts) to the piles of golden sfogliatelle romane (ricotta-filled pastries).
- Pasticceria Gruè Modern pasticceria-cum-cafe with artfully crafted cakes and pastries.
Places to Eat with Locals
- Da Felice Traditional local cooking in Testaccio, the heartland of Roman cuisine.
- Panella Hugely popular bakery and tavola calda in Esquilino; go for lunch.
- Trattoria Da Teo Reservations essential at this much-liked trattoria, with terrace seating on a pretty Trastevere piazza.
- Pizzeria Ostiense Fabulous thin-crust pizza in Rome's ex-industrial, hip neighbourhood of Ostiense.
- Hostaria Romana Buzzing trattoria dining footsteps from the Trevi Fountain.
- Fatamorgana Rome's finest artisanal flavours, now in multiple central locations.
- Gelateria del Teatro Around 40 choices of delicious ice cream, all made on site.
- Otaleg Classic and experimental flavours.
- Gelateria Dei Gracchi A taste of heaven in several locations across Rome.
- Fior di Luna Great artisan ice cream in Trastevere.
- Neve di Latte Classic flavours served near the MAXXI art museum.
- Trapizzino Home of the trapizzino, a cone of doughy bread with fillers like polpette al sugo (meatballs in tomato sauce).
- Mercato Centrale Gourmet fast-food stalls galore at this food hall in Rome's main train station.
- Supplì Gourmet versions of Rome's favourite fried-risotto-ball snacks, as well as great pizza by the slice.
- Fa-Bìo Popular organic takeaway near the Vatican.
- Panificio Bonci Bakery near the Vatican serving tasty pizzas and panini (sandwiches) to go.
- Antica Norcineria Iacozzilli Delicious panini stuffed with rosemary-scented porchetta (suckling pig).
- Eataly Mall-sized, state-of-the-art food emporium, with produce from all over Italy, and multiple restaurants.
- Salumeria Roscioli The rich scents of fine Italian produce, cured meats and cheeses intermingle in this superlative deli.
- Amodei Banco e Bottega Tempting deli and enoteca near Termini Station.
- Antica Caciara Trasteverina Century-old deli with fresh ricotta and to-die-for ricotta infornata (oven-baked ricotta), among other delicacies.
- Volpetti This super-stocked deli is a treasure trove of gourmet delicacies and helpful staff.
- Confetteria Moriondo & Gariglio Source magical chocolate creations at this historic confectioner.