- Entertainment Ireland (www.entertainment.ie) Countrywide listings for every kind of entertainment.
- Failte Ireland (www.discoverireland.ie) Official tourist board website – practical info and a huge accommodation database.
- Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland and www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/northern-ireland) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
- Northern Ireland Tourist Board (www.nitb.com) Official tourist site.
- Quality rather than quantity should be your goal: instead of a hair-raising race to see everything, pick a handful of destinations and give yourself time to linger. The most memorable experiences in Ireland are often the ones where you're doing very little at all.
- If you're driving, get off the main roads when you can: some of Ireland's most stunning scenery is best enjoyed on secondary or tertiary roads that wind their narrow way through standout photo ops.
- Make the effort to greet the locals: the best experiences are to be had courtesy of the Irish themselves, whose helpfulness, friendliness and sense of fun has not been overexaggerated.
What to Take
- Good walking shoes, as there's plenty of good walking to do
- Raincoat – you will undoubtedly need it
- UK/Ireland electrical adapter
- Finely honed sense of humour
- A hollow leg – all that beer has to go somewhere
- Irish-themed Spotify playlist
What to Wear
You can wear pretty much whatever you want: smart casual is the most you'll need for fancy dinners, the theatre or the concert hall. Irish summers are warm but rarely hot, so you'll want something extra when the temperatures cool, especially in the evening. Ultimately the ever-changeable weather will determine your outfits, but a light waterproof jacket should never be beyond reach for the almost inevitable rain.
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months past your arrival date
- Make all necessary bookings (accommodation, events and travel)
- Check the airline baggage restrictions
- Inform your debit-/credit-card company
- Arrange appropriate travel insurance
- Check if your mobile phone is compatible