Dr Johnson’s House

Museum in The City

Built in 1700, this Georgian house is one of very few to survive in the City. It was the home of the great wit Samuel Johnson, the author of the first serious dictionary of the English language and the man who famously proclaimed, ‘When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life’.

The house contains antique furniture and artefacts from Dr Johnson’s life, including a chair from his local pub, the Cock Tavern on Fleet St, and numerous paintings and engravings of the lexicographer and his associates, including his black manservant and eventual heir, Francis Barber, and his clerk and biographer, James Boswell.

On the upper floors there are leaflets describing how Dr Johnson and six clerks developed the first English dictionary in the house’s attic from 1748 to 1759, as well as a copy of the first edition of the dictionary from 1755. Children will love the Georgian dress-up clothes.


Advertisement