San Isidro de los Destiladeros

Sancti Spíritus Province

After lengthy excavations, the ruins of this once grand sugar mill are accessible to the public. Dating from the early 1830s and sophisticated for its time, the mill belongs to the pre-industrial age and functioned primarily with slave labor. After ceasing production in 1890, the main buildings – a hacienda, a three-story bell tower, slave quarters and some cisterns – fell into ruin. Admission includes an informative tour in one of several languages, providing better insight than at other sites in the valley.

Renovation is ongoing and has been criticized by some who think the ruins should have been left as, well, ruins. San Isidro is accessed by branching right off the Trinidad–Sancti Spíritus road, 10km east of Trinidad. It's a further 2km from there.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Sancti Spíritus Province attractions

1. Manaca Iznaga

1.63 MILES

Founded in 1750, this important estate is the focal point of the valley. It was purchased in 1795 by Pedro Iznaga, who became one of Cuba's wealthiest men…

2. Casa Guachinango

2.41 MILES

Three kilometers beyond the Manaca Iznaga museum, on the valley's inland road, is an old hacienda built by Don Mariano Borrell toward the end of the 18th…

3. Sitio Guáimaro

4.42 MILES

Seven kilometers east of the Manaca Iznaga turnoff, travel for another 2km south and you'll find the former estate of Don Mariano Borrell, a wealthy early…

4. Mirador de la Loma del Puerto

6.13 MILES

Six kilometers east of Trinidad on the road to Sancti Spíritus, this 192m-high lookout provides the best eagle-eye view of the valley with – if you're…

5. Iglesia de Santa Ana

7.64 MILES

Grass grows around the domed bell tower, and the arched doorways were bricked up long ago, but the shell of this ruined church (1812) defiantly remains…

6. Plaza Santa Ana

7.64 MILES

Located on the eponymous square, which delineates Trinidad's northeastern reaches, is a former Spanish prison (1844) that has been converted into the…

8. Museo Romántico

7.94 MILES

The ground floor of the glittering Palacio Brunet was built in 1740, and the upstairs was added in 1808. In 1974 the mansion was converted into a museum…