Old Orthodox Church

Church in Sarajevo

While the final form of this outwardly austere stone church dedicated to the archangels Michael and Gabriel dates to 1730, it was founded considerably earlier – possibly as long ago as the 5th century. Inside, under a star-spangled night-blue ceiling, is a superb gilded iconostasis from 1674 fronted by a pair of 3m-high candlesticks. The cloister museum displays manuscripts, vestments and icons, the oldest of which were painted in the 15th century.

Beside the museum entrance there's a little cafe shaded by a veil of vines.


Advertisement