Hermann-Grima House

Historic Building in French Quarter

Samuel Hermann, a Jewish merchant who married a Catholic woman, introduced the American-style Federal design to the Quarter in 1831. Hermann sold the house in 1844 to slaveholder Judge Grima after Hermann reportedly lost $2 million during the national financial panic of 1837. Cooking demonstrations in the open-hearth kitchen are a special treat on alternate Thursdays from October to May.

Advertisement