Church of SS John the Baptist & John the Evangelist

Church in Chełmno

At the far western tip of the Old Town, this church was built between 1266 and 1325 and has a richly gilded high altar with an ornate organ to the side. Underneath the organ is a black-marble tombstone from 1275, one of the oldest in the region. The church is part of the renovated Dominican and Benedictine convent – the nuns have returned, walking through the vista-rich garden behind the church with their rosaries in hand.

Advertisement