Such was the splendor of the 15th-century Ca’ d’Oro, with its lacelike Gothic loggias constructed by Lombardi artisans, that it was named the "Golden House." Baron Franchetti (1865–1922) restored and bequeathed this treasure-box palace to Venice, packed with his collection of masterpieces, many of which were originally plundered from Veneto churches during Napoleon’s conquest of Italy. The Baron himself designed the glorious mosaic of the open-sided courtyard. Treasures from the Baron's collection include an arrow-riddled St Sebastian by Mantegna. It's currently under restoration, with some parts open and some closed.
