The blue-and-white interior of the Franciscan-owned Church of St John is reminiscent of European churches – not surprising, as it was funded and built by the Spanish monarchy in 1674. The paintings are by Spanish artists and there is a royal coat of arms above the entrance. Towards the front of the church is the grotto where it is believed John the Baptist came into the world (Luke 1:5-25, 57-80); a small marble circle under the altar marks the spot.

The church is located on the street to the right of the main road.