The Citadella is a fortress that never saw a battle. Built by the Habsburgs after the 1848–49 War of Independence to defend the city from further insurrection, the structure was obsolete by the time it was ready in 1851 due to the change in political climate. Today the fortress contains some big guns peeping through the loopholes, but the interior has now been closed to the public while its future is decided.
To reach here from Pest, cross Elizabeth Bridge and take the stairs leading up behind the statue of St Gellért, or cross Liberty Bridge and follow Verejték utca through the park starting at the Cave Church. Bus 27 runs almost to the top of the hill from Móricz Zsigmond körtér, southwest of the Danubius Hotel Gellért (and accessible on trams 18, 19, 47 and 49).