Parliament Building

Historic Building in Tbilisi

The high-arched former Parliament building has seen momentous events, including the deaths of 19 Georgian hunger strikers at the hands of Soviet troops on 9 April 1989, and the Rose Revolution on 22 November 2003. It ceased to be the home of Parliament in 2012 when Georgia's new Parliament in Kutaisi opened, but many MPs want to return Parliament to Tbilisi so the future is uncertain.

The building was constructed between 1938 and 1953 for Georgia’s Soviet government. A small monument in front of it, and paving stones and glass panels set at irregular angles, commemorate the dead of 1989.


Advertisement