Prince Dai's Residence

Palace in Datong

Originally built in 1392 but burned to the ground in a huge conflagration in 1644 during the last gasps of the Ming dynasty, this vast palace complex (191,000 sq m) reaches all the way north from Da Dongjie to a street shy of the city walls. Under construction since 2011, all that survives of the original palace is the Nine Dragon Screen.