The island's oldest building, this Caribbean great house was built in 1780 by one of Cayman's founding families (with slaves doing the heavy lifting). Over the years, the house served as jailhouse, courthouse, and parliament building. It was here in 1831 that the decision was made in favor of a public vote for elected representatives. And here, in 1835, the Slavery Abolition Act was announced. Nowadays, the house is fitted with antiques and reproductions to evoke the era.
In the theater, a multimedia production recounts the history of the house, while the grounds are beautifully landscaped. It's 4km west of Bodden Town proper.