This small but splendid Unesco-listed mosque was built in 1579 with the money raised by ransoming a kidnapped Austro-Hungarian lord. Completely destroyed in 1993 as part of the Bosnian War, its meticulous reconstruction used 16th-century techniques and managed to incorporate jigsaw-style some 60% of the shattered original remnants rescued from various dumps. The hand-painted interior was finally finished in 2016.
Adnan, part of the original reconstruction team, speaks great English and is happy to show visitors the finer details. Women should put on a scarf (provided) before entering. The mosque's shaded open-air cafe outside serves proper Bosnian coffee.